My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan/
and update your bookmarks.

New URL/Update Links: http://www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan/

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Should I Stay or Should I Go?


Should I Stay Or Should I Go?


David Wright, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, Pedro Martinez, John Maine, Oliver Perez, Billy Wagner. These are my first tier of players, the ones that I feel should go under no circumstances.


Luis Castillo, Pedro Feliciano, Lastings Milledge, Mike Pelfrey, Joe Smith, Philip Humber, Endy Chavez, Marlon Anderson, Ramon Castro, Ruben Gotay. These guys are the next tier. I really don't want these guys to go anywhere, but they're not as completely vital. Some of them I'd miss, but would be glad to see value come from them in a big trade.


Carlos Gomez, Moises Alou, Paul Lo Duca, Carlos Delgado, Scott Schoeneweis, Orlando Hernandez are the guys that I think could succeed in certain roles with the Mets, or I think are due for a decent year and should be held while focus is placed on other areas. I think we can get good years out of Delgado and Lo Duca, leaving Omar(or whoever) free to search for a more long term solution in these positions while focusing on more immediate pitching concerns. I think Schoeneweis might be a tolerable addition, and his contract probably brings him back anyway. I'm not sure if guys like El Duque, Gomez or Alou can contribute reliably, and while I wouldn't mind keeping them, I also wouldn't mind exchanging them for value. One concern of mine is power, something I felt the Mets were missing when Delgado was slumping and Alou was missing. I found the Mets stringing together hits but failing to have big innings that a home run can bring.


Tom Glavine, Guillermo Mota, and Aaron Sele are the only three players that I'm ready to toss completely.


Everyone else is either too minor to make a decision on(Muniz, who looked real good. Ben Johnson, who barely factors in), or really doesn't seem to have a place in the future(Shawn Green, Aaron Heilman, David Newhan, Jeff Conine, who I believe was going to retire, Dave Williams, Mike Difelice). Guys like Jose Valentin or Duaner Sanchez or Damien Easley may or may not be done with the team, and certainly have to prove themselves again.


I'm never one to get too caught up in coaches. I think Peterson may have worn out his welcome, but I really don't know how much impact he has, or how much guys like Maine and Perez might rely on him. I like Howard Johnson, I could care less about Rickey's card playing habits and think he some valuable assets. I like Willie, Omar seems to be pretty competent, I don't know that I have much to say about Sandy Alomar at third base, and the other guys barely register.


I generally don't like to speculate and chase rumors about getting this guy, or getting that guy. Obviously trying to get a guy like Johan Santana would be awesome, but would it be worth Humber and Pelfrey? Probably, but it's a tough thing to judge. I've said this before, and I think Omar should just invite 18 middle relief guys to spring training, and hope to catch the guys that are going to have good years, or match well with Peterson's(or replacement's) style of pitching.

No comments:

Update Links New URL! http://optimisticmetsfan.ceetar.com